Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1850
Terraced three-bay three-storey rendered house, built in 1830, as part of a terrace of four houses, with full-height return. Single-storey apartment unit to rear, built c. 1970. Single-span artificial slate roof behind parapet wall with raised ridge to front. Two rendered chimneystacks to party walls. Painted ruled and lined rendered façade with torch-on felt coping to parapet wall. Square-headed window openings to façade with lugged and kneed stucco architrave, painted sills and replacement uPVC windows to rear elevation. Three-centred arched door opening with patent rendered reveals, with moulded finish, limestone doorstep and doorcase comprising panelled uprights on architrave blocks with foliate consoles joined by slim timber frieze and cornice; flat-panelled timber door with horizontal central panel and nineteenth-century brass door furniture; webbed fanlight with lead detailing and historic glass. Limestone flagged front door area, with cast-iron bootscraper, flanked by wrought-iron railings on limestone plinth wall with cast-iron rail post with urn finials. Front site enclosed from pavement by a rendered rubble stone plinth wall surmounted by wrought-iron railings with spearhead finials. Wrought-iron pedestrian gate flanked by limestone piers, gives access to front site path. Light wrought-iron fence and rubble limestone wall flank front site. Modern outbuilding to rear site lane.
The fourth of four three-bay four-storey terraced houses built, it would appear, concurrently. The large piano nobile windows at first floor level are indicators of a late-Georgian building format. Externally the house retains much of its original character though this is somewhat undermined by the loss of original windows. Moulded architraves, the front door leaf and fanlight survive. The front site boundary walls and railings are important to the historic context of this house.