Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Technical
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Cast-iron wall mounted post box, erected between 1901-1910, in a rendered wall, adjacent to a gate pier. The outer face is plainly ornamented comprising an outer frame, hooded letter flap with lettering reading: Post Office, and door with lock case. Finger pull and frame for timetable. The royal insignia ER VII, with a crown between is set above the letter flap.
This cast-iron wall mounted post box dates to between 1901-1910 when Edward VII was king of Great Britain and Ireland. The post box adds to the architectural heritage of South Circular Road and is testimony to the great tradition of iron foundries during the nineteenth century. The post box like others has stood the test of time due to the durability of its materials.