Survey Data

Reg No

21518049


Rating

National


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social Technical


Previous Name

Artillery Barracks


Original Use

Magazine


Date

1805 - 1820


Coordinates

158183, 156640


Date Recorded

04/05/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached single-bay single-storey limestone ashlar arsenal, built c. 1810, with a brick constructed barrel vault fronted by limestone pediment to barracks elevation. Large section of front elevation, including clerestorey light, removed, without apparent structural instability. Gabled slate roof, with large slates, and corrugated metal sheeting to north. Massive limestone ashlar battered walls to front elevation with. Limestone coping to gable wall, and limestone eaves supporting rainwater goods. Side elevation with heavy buttressing. Gun loop to front and side elevation. To interior, tamped clay floor, red brick-faced internal elevations and barrel vault.

Appraisal

Unusual, strong, defensive and monumental qualities are embodied in this structure. There is a high standard of architectural detailing in common with other barracks buildings. It is an important and rare typology in Ireland.