Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Technical
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Attached four-bay five-storey former corn stores, built c. 1810, extending twelve bays to the rear, with an Art Deco shopfront, c. 1945. Pitched artificial slate roof with exposed gable to one end, to front section with cement coping and slightly lower pitch to east-bay. Single rendered chimneystack to west gable and a gable front to central bay with cast-iron rainwater goods. Hipped natural slate roof to section to rear with metal rainwater goods. Corrugated sheet iron roof to the eight-by section. Pitched natural slate roof to the section at rear of yard. The main three-bay street-fronted building with central gable constructed of tooled limestone ashlar, while the east bay and all other sections are of coursed and random rubble limestone. Square-headed window openings to front elevation with voussoired limestone detail to main three bays and fixed-pane timber windows. Full-height loop-hole with multiple-pane metal windows beneath the central gable. Small camber-arched window openings to all other elevations with red brick surrounds and some timber windows. Shopfront comprising carriage-arch to east bay with a recessed square-headed door opening beneath the loop-hole and a fixed-pane display window on stallriser to either side with leaded overlight. Each bay is divided by oversized cement upright and joined by a similar fluted fascia.
A formidable building set around a long courtyard on three sides. With mainly the ground floor in use this structure lies largely unused. As one of a group of industrial buildings on this street they indicate to the source of the commercial wealth and industrial and agricultural activity centred in Limerick City. This building may have been part of the Bannatyne operations on Roche's Street.