Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1880
Attached three-bay three-storey building, built c. 1860, with shopfront inserted at ground level. Pitched gabled natural slate roof behind parapet wall. Walls faced in red brick laid in Flemish bond with rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings with moulded architrave surrounds and corniced sill course to second floor. Camber-headed window openings to first floor with moulded architrave surrounds and scrolls to the base. One-over-one timber sash windows throughout. Traditional style modern timber shopfront with central display windows flanked by square-headed door openings, limestone step to east door opening. Large panelled pilaster to either end with oversized scrolled console brackets joined by a modillion enriched fascia. Interior retains an original floor plan, original timber staircase, window boxes and joinery.
A formal Victorian building which, due to its height and good condition, holds a prominence on this side of Roches Street. The combination of the architrave surrounds, the corniced sill courses and the red brick combine to add artistic interest to the façade.