Survey Data

Reg No

21517235


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

157434, 156747


Date Recorded

14/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1820, with a front railed basement area. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with limestone coping and lead flashing to courses below. A shared chimneystack to each party wall and uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing to front and rear. Squared and coursed limestone walls to basement elevation with plinth course above. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills uPVC windows throughout. Segmental-headed brick arched door opening with patent rendered reveal and original raised and fielded timber-panelled door with brass furniture. Door flanked by pair of engaged timber Ionic columns, original painted sidelights and quarter Ionic piers supporting a stepped entablature and painted webbed fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone step and platform area with wrought-iron bootscraper, four limestone steps flanked by replacement steel railings on limestone plinth enclosing basement area. Square coal hole cover set in limestone to front pavement.

Appraisal

The insertion of uPVC windows and modern steel railings compromises the integrity and appearance of this former house and detracts from what is otherwise a relatively intact structure. It retains, however, a very fine door and surround in addition to its fa├žade composition which forms an integral part of the Georgian terrace on this grand streetscape.