Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1820, with a front railed basement area. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with limestone coping and lead flashing to courses below. A shared chimneystack to each party wall and uPVC rainwater goods to rear. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing to front and rear. Limestone ashlar plinth course below ground level with limestone ashlar course and squared basement elevation. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills and timber sash windows with horns and some cylinder glass. Six-over-three to third floor, six-over-six to second floor, nine-over-six to first floor and nine-over-one to ground floor. Segmental-headed brick arched door opening with patent rendered reveal and original raised and fielded timber-panelled door with brass furniture. Door flanked by pair of engaged timber Ionic columns, plain sidelights and quarter Ionic piers supporting a stepped entablature and webbed fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone step and platform area, with four limestone steps flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on limestone plinth enclosing basement area. Square coal hole cover set in limestone to front pavement.
This remains one of the few largely intact Georgian terraced houses on the street, retaining many external salient features. This state of good repair makes it an important component of the streetscape, as well as a reference point to how the remainder of the street should look.