Survey Data

Reg No

21517230


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

157415, 156717


Date Recorded

21/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c. 1820, with a front railed basement area, and exposed north gable due to recent demolition of adjacent building. Pitched natural slate roof hidden behind parapet wall with limestone coping and a large brick chimneystack rising from the north gable with a further shared rendered chimneystack to the south party wall, both having clay pots. Red brick walls to front rear and gable laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing to the front and some rubble limestone sections to the gable. Squared limestone ashlar walls to the basement with a moulded limestone plinth course above. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, limestone sills and uPVC windows to both elevations. Three-point brick-arched door opening with a rendered reveal and a carved limestone doorcase comprising of a pair of half-fluted Doric columns on plinth blocks supporting a heavy entablature with an original webbed fanlight above. Square-headed door opening contains a replacement timber-panelled door leaf with brass furniture opening onto a limestone stepped threshold, limestone flagged platform and five steps. A cast-iron bootscraper to the platform which is flanked by wrought-iron railing and cast-iron corner posts on a limestone plinth which returns to enclose basement area, accessed by modern steel steps. An iron coal hole cover set in a limestone surround located to the pavement. A rubble limestone former coach house to the rear with a brick arch probably forming part of the cartilage.

Appraisal

A good terraced Georgian townhouse forming part of a relatively intact streetscape. Although inappropriate windows have been inserted, this building retains many important salient features including a very fine limestone doorcase and attractive fanlight. The adjacent single-storey structure, was recently demolished, and a sympathetic infill would complete the intended uniformity of the terrace and thus enhance the character of this impressive steetscape.