Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Freestanding bronze figurative sculpture of Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847), designed in 1856 and unveiled in 1857, facing north standing on a granite ashlar podium, which rises from water fountain retained by limestone faced plinth walls, introduced c. 2000. Lettering to podium reads: O'Connell T. Kane M.D. Mayor.
This is the first outdoor public statue of Daniel O'Connell to be unveiled. It is a good quality academic sculpture to the designs of John Hogan (1800-1858). Daniel O'Connell is represented as a Roman with toga and looks towards the street named after him. O'Connell is nearer to the people than those on top of columns, such as the Rice Memorial. O'Connell wears contemporary clothes under the toga and the text of the Act of Catholic Emancipation is prominent in his left hand. The Irish figure is elevated to classical hero. The monument is a bid for power and influence by the newly empowered Catholic nationalist element in the city. It was designed for the Limerick Committee for the O'Connell Testimonial in 1856 and unveiled on the 15th August 1857. The total cost was £1,300. Originally the sculpture was surrounded by cast-iron railings with cast-iron lamp standards to the four corners. John Hogan was originally apprenticed to Sir Thomas Deane, and travelled to Rome to study. His numerous works include various versions of The Dead Christ, one of which is at Saint Finbarr's Cathedral in Cork.