Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Attached six-bay two-storey limestone L-plan building, built c. 1850, possibly forming a commercial stable building, with elevation of plank timber stable doors and vent openings to rear. Located in the backlands to the rears of Nos. 1-7 Lower Mallow Street. Hipped artificial slate roof with replacement uPVC bargeboard and uPVC rainwater goods. Squared, coursed and rubble limestone walls. Rubble stone to north-facing side elevation. Round-edged limestone ashlar quoins to outer corner. Gauged brick round arched double-height openings (those to each end being original) with modern double-height openings (those to each end being original) with modern double-leaf tongued and grooved timber doors and multiple-pane overlight above. Three round-arched door openings with gauged red brick archers, exposed limestone reveals and plank timber doors with glazed sidelights. Similar round-arched window opening to side elevation.
This interesting stone structure was extensively renovated during the 1990s. Its possible original use as a commercial stable building has been suggested by the scale of the structure and the nature of the openings which form large carriage arches. The unusual nature of this building and the apparently original stables to the rear give this structure added significance which throws some light on the domestic arrangements of Limerick's nineteenth-century middle class, many of whom may not have private horse drawn vehicles, despite the presence of coach houses.