Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited end-of-terrace three-bay four-storey over basement red brick house, built c. 1820, forming part of a uniform terrace of eleven Georgian former townhouses. With a broad flight of steps to the three-centred arched front door, and an eight-bay two-storey addition attached to rear occupying the whole of the rear site. Pitched roof concealed behind parapet wall to front side and rear elevation. Chimneystacks to south party wall. Red brick faced walls laid in Flemish bond to façade side and rear elevation with limestone ashlar faced facade basement elevation, rendered basement elevation to side elevation terminating at ground floor level with a chamfered limestone plinth course. Square-headed window openings to façade (camber-arched at basement level) and side elevation with red brick flat arches, patent rendered reveals, limestone sills and six-over-three, six-over-six and nine over nine timber sash windows with ogee and segmental horns. Segmental arched Wyatt window openings illuminating principal rooms to rear. Three-centred arched door opening, red brick arch, patent rendered reveals, and inset tripartite plaster doorcase comprising half-engaged Composite columns and responding pilasters dividing flanking sidelights with frosted glazing and plain rendered plinth bases, and original raised and fielded panelled timber door with central fillet moulding. Columns support fluted frieze with rosette detailing, which recedes over door leaf. Replacement fanlight. Door opening with limestone surround, introduced to side elevation, c .1990. Front door accessed by broad flight of limestone steps with bootscraper, flanked by limestone plinth wall supporting wrought-iron railings with Neo-classical cast-iron rail posts with pineapple finials, in varying states of intactness. Access to steps prohibited by concrete plinth wall and steel railings. Square-plan cast-iron coal hole cover and limestone slab to pavement.
This house forms an important corner building within the Newtown Pery Georgian streetscape. Its imposing façade and side elevation, contributes significantly to the uniform character of street. This terrace of three-bay four-storey over basement houses contrast favourably with the smaller scale houses on the Mallow Street terraces, suggesting the pre-eminence of O'Connell Avenue (once called George's Street), within the grid street plan of Newtown Pery.