Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey over basement house, built c. 1830, with a rubble stone coach house to the rear. Pitched slate roof hidden to front behind a parapet wall. Rendered chimneystacks east party wall. Red brick façade laid in Flemish bond with cement re-pointing. Rebuilt parapet wall with torch-on felt flashing. Painted rendered basement elevation. Painted roughcast rendered east-facing side elevation rising to form a chimneystack. Cement rendered red brick rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, red brick arches, patent rendered reveals, limestone sills and replacement timber sash windows to front elevation. Square-headed window openings to rear elevation, with rendered reveals, limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-arched door opening with patent rendered reveals, limestone threshold step, and replacement inset timber doorframe door leaf and fanlight. Front door opening onto concrete platform flanked by limestone plinth wall supporting replacement metal railings with posts which return to enclose the front site basement area. Concrete steps to basement level. Rubble limestone coach house with three centred red brick arch with red brick infill and sheet metal gates. Square-headed loft window opening with a six-paned window. Pitched artificial slate roof covering.
This house is located within a terrace of seven houses which, despite the location on an incline, shares a uniform parapet height and a relatively uniform fenestration arrangement. The acclivity is accommodated by maintaining the lowering the basement level as the hill rises. This house is relatively intact, with the original coach house extant to rear. Despite alterations to the house, which replaces original architectural features, this house continues to contribute to the architectural ensemble of the terrace.