Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement red brick house, built c. 1830, forming part of a terrace of seven north-facing houses. Flat-roofed rendered and exposed red brick return to rear. Pitched M-profile artificial slate roof hidden behind a parapet wall. Rendered chimneystacks to east and west party walls. Brown brick façade laid in Flemish bond with cement re-pointing and limestone coping to rebuilt parapet wall. Painted rendered basement elevation with plinth course delineating ground floor level. Red brick rear elevation with cement re-pointing. Square-headed window openings, red brick flat arches, patent rendered reveals, limestone sills, and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-arched door opening, with red brick arch, patent rendered reveals, limestone threshold step, and replacement timber doorcase. Original raised and fielded panelled timber door leaf. Webbed lead detailed fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone front door platform, flanked by limestone plinth wall with original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron rail post having pineapple finials. Railings return to enclose front site and side elevation basement area. Concrete steps accessed via metal gate. Original coach house to rear site, substantially altered c. 1980 incorporating the neighbouring four coach houses to form a commercial premises.
This terraced house is located within a terrace of seven houses which, despite the location on an incline, shares a uniform parapet height and a relatively uniform fenestration arrangement. The acclivity is accommodated by maintaining the lowering the basement level as the hill rises. This house is largely intact and the coach house, despite its significant alterations, continues to contribute to the architectural ensemble of this house.