Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement red brick house, built c. 1830, forming part of a terrace of seven north-facing houses. Flat-roofed rendered return to rear. Pitched M-profile artificial slate roof hidden behind a parapet wall. Red brick façade laid in Flemish bond with original pointing and limestone coping to rebuilt parapet wall. Façade retaining original colour wash. Painted rendered basement elevation. Red brick rear elevation laid in Flemish bond, with cement re-pointing. Square-headed window openings, red brick flat arches, patent rendered reveals, limestone sills, and replacement uPVC windows. Round arch door opening, with red brick arch, patent rendered reveals and simple timber doorcase inset comprising: panelled pilasters with slender lintel entablature, limestone threshold step. Replacement raised and fielded panelled timber door leaf. Plain glass fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone front door platform with cast-iron bootscraper. Limestone plinth wall with original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron rail post having pineapple finials. Railings return to enclose front site and side elevation basement area. Concrete steps accessed via metal gate. Original coach house to rear site, substantially altered c. 1980 incorporating the neighbouring four coach houses to form a commercial premises.
This terraced house is located within a terrace of seven which, despite the location on an incline, shares a uniform parapet height and a relatively uniform fenestration arrangement. The slope is accommodated by the lowering the basement level as the hill rises. The house is largely intact and the coach house, despite its significant alterations, continues to contribute to the architectural ensemble.