Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement red brick house, built c. 1830, forming part of a terrace of seven north-facing houses. Pitched M-profile artificial slate roof hidden behind a parapet wall. Red brick façade laid in Flemish bond with original pointing and limestone coping to parapet wall. Painted rendered basement elevation. Red brick rear elevation laid in Flemish bond, with cement re-pointing. Square-headed window openings, red brick flat arches, patent rendered reveals, limestone sills, and original three-over-six, and six-over-one, nine-over-one and six-over-one timber sash windows, with glazing bars removed from lower sashes. Historic glass surviving throughout. One original nine-over-nine timber sash window to rear elevation. uPVC windows to rear elevation. Round-arched door opening, with red brick arch, patent rendered reveals and simple timber doorcase inset comprising: panelled pilasters with slender lintel entablature, limestone threshold step. Replacement raised and fielded panelled timber door leaf. Plain glass fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone front door platform with cast-iron bootscraper. Limestone plinth wall with original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron rail post having pineapple finials. Railings return to enclose front site and side elevation basement area. Concrete steps accessed via metal gate. Original coach house to rear site, substantially altered c. 1980 incorporating the neighbouring four coach houses to form a commercial premises.
This terraced house is located within a terrace of seven houses which, despite the location on an incline, shares a uniform parapet height and a relatively uniform fenestration arrangement. The acclivity is accommodated by maintaining the lowering the basement level as the hill rises. This house is largely intact and the coach house, despite its significant alterations, continues to contribute to the architectural ensemble of this house.