Survey Data

Reg No

21517067


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

157408, 156772


Date Recorded

08/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with a rendered chimneystack to the south party wall and a brick chimneystack attached to a rendered chimneystack rising from the north gable. Red brick walls to both elevations laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing and limestone coping to the parapet wall. Painted squared and coursed limestone ashlar walls to basement with a painted limestone plinth course delineating ground floor level. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills and uPVC windows throughout, except one-over-one timber sash windows to basement. Brick three-centred arch door opening with patent rendered reveal and original raised and fielded timber-panelled door. Door flanked by a pair of timber engaged Ionic columns and original sidelights, quarter Ionic piers supporting a stepped entablature and a painted decorative webbed fanlight above. Door opens onto a limestone step, limestone flagged platform and five steps, flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron posts on limestone plinth enclosing basement area. Iron coal hole cover and limestone surround to front pavement. Car park to rear.

Appraisal

Despite the loss of its original windows and incorrect replacements, this building retains many important external features making it an significant part of this impressive terrace.