Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed area and a former coach house to the rear. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with a shared rendered chimneystack to each party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing to both elevations, with a limestone plinth course above squared and coursed limestone ashlar walls to basement. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout, except one-over-one timber sash windows to basement. Cast-iron decorative balconies to first floor with acroterion motif. Brick three-centred arch door opening with rendered reveal with original timber raised and fielded panelled door, with a further glazed timber door. Door flanked by a pair of timber engaged Ionic columns, sidelights missing most detail and quarter Ionic piers, all supporting a stepped entablature and decorative webbed zinc fanlight. Door opens onto limestone step and limestone flagged platform and five limestone steps flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron posts on limestone plinth enclosing basement area. Square iron coal hole cover set in limestone to front pavement. Rubble limestone former coach house to rear with brick arch, now in use as a restaurant with a timber shopfront.
Although much of the original fabric has been lost, this building retains its façade composition and some external features to contribute significantly to the uniform appearance of this terrace.