Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area and a stone former coach house to the rear. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with a shared rendered chimneystack to each party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with covered limestone coping to parapet wall. Squared and coursed limestone ashlar walls to basement with a limestone plinth course delineating ground floor level. Brick walls to rear as per front elevation with a timber fascia and uPVC gutter and cast-iron gutter. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals and limestone sills. uPVC replacement windows to third floor and rear elevation. Possibly original six-over-six timber sash windows to second floor and nine-over-six to first floor both without horns. Timber casement windows to ground floor and replacement six-over-six timber sash windows to basement. Brick three-centred arch door opening with rendered reveal and replacement timber-panelled door. Door flanked by pair of timber engaged Ionic columns, original sidelights and quarter Ionic piers supporting a stepped entablature and decorative webbed fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone step and limestone flagged platform with wrought-iron bootscraper. Platform and five limestone steps flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron posts on limestone plinth encloses basement area, with a steel gate and steps giving access to the basement. Two square iron coal hole covers set in limestone located to the front pavement. To the rear is a rubble limestone former coach house with brick arch and a modern roller steel door giving access to the rear.
Retaining a fine door surround and some original fenestration, this building presents an original aspect to the street. The intact coach house is also of note and overall contributes to the intact nature of this grand terrace streetscape.