Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with a shared rendered chimneystack to each party wall. Red coated brick walls laid in Flemish bond with limestone coping to parapet wall having lead flashing to brick courses beneath. Coursed and squared limestone ashlar walls to basement with a limestone plinth course delineating ground floor level. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Brick three-centred door opening with an original raised and fielded timber-panelled door with iron door furniture. Door flanked by a pair of timber engaged Ionic columns, original sidelights and quarter Ionic piers all supporting a stepped entablature and webbed zinc fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone step and limestone flagged platform with a wrought-iron bootscraper. Platform and five limestone steps are flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron posts on a limestone plinth enclosing the basement area. Steel gate and steps give access to basement area. A square coal hole cover set in limestone surround to the front pavement. Former stone coach house to rear has been replaced with a modern concrete structure.
With its intact doorcase and deep red brick façade, this building stands apart from the remainder of the terrace. Despite having had inappropriate window replacements, this former house forms part of an impressive intact terrace on this grand streetscape.