Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area and the remains of a stone coach house to the rear. M-profile roof hidden behind rebuilt parapet wall with limestone coping and lead flashing to the brick courses beneath. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing on a limestone plinth course above square and coursed limestone ashlar walls to basement elevation. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills and uPVC windows throughout. Brick three-centred arched door opening with rendered reveal and original raised-and-fielded timber-panelled door with iron door furniture. Door flanked by pair of timber engaged Ionic columns, original sidelights and quarter Ionic piers all supporting stepped entablature and original webbed zinc fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone step and limestone flagged platform with pair of wrought-iron bootscrapers. Platform flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on limestone plinth and five limestone steps. An additional elaborate cast-iron balustrade and concrete steps, c. 1880, formerly gave access to a door opening, now reverted back to use as a window and bridges the flagstone basement area. Square iron coal hole cover set within limestone surround located to the front pavement. Rubble limestone former coach house to rear has a brick arch with a modern opening giving access to the rear car parking area.
While inappropriate window replacements and cement pointing detract from the character of this house, the overall façade composition remains intact. The intact doorcase and the decorative later iron work add interest to this façade which, as a whole, makes a positive contribution to the uniformity of this impressive streetscape.