Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area and the remains of the former stone coach house to the rear. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with limestone coping and lead flashing to the brick courses beneath. Red brick walls with cement pointing and a limestone plinth course with squared and coursed limestone ashlar walls to basement elevation. Cement rendered to the rear elevation. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Brick three-centred arched door opening with rendered reveal and a replacement timber-panelled door. Door flanked by pair of timber engaged Ionic columns, replacement sidelights and pair of quarter Ionic piers all supporting a stepped entablature with replacement fanlight above. Door opens onto limestone step and limestone flagged platform with two cast-iron bootscrapers and five limestone steps. Platform is flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on a limestone plinth enclosing basement area. Gate and steel steps give access to limestone flagged basement area. Two square iron coal hole covers set in limestone surround to the front pavement. Rubble limestone front and rear elevation walls to former coach house with concrete lintels and brick arch above, giving access to rear parking area.
While many external features have been lost, the essential façade composition and Georgian character are still evident in this building. The intact aspect forms an integral part of this impressive streetscape.