Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area and a three-storey return. M-profile roof hidden behind parapet wall with limestone coping. Brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement pointing and squared and coursed limestone ashlar basement walls and plinth course above. Cement rendered to rear elevation. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills and replacement uPVC windows to first, second and third floors and same to rear. One-over-one timber sash windows to ground floor with six-over-six timber sash windows to basement with horns and exposed sash boxes. Brick three-centred arched door opening with patent rendered reveal and timber raised-and-fielded panelled door. Door flanked by pair of timber engaged Ionic columns, replacement sidelights and quarter Ionic piers supporting a stepped entablature and a replacement fanlight above. Door opens onto a limestone step, limestone flagged platform and four limestone steps. Wrought-iron bootscraper to platform which is flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on limestone plinth with cement repairs. Perforated cast-iron steps and elaborate cast-iron balustrade formerly provided access to a converted ground floor window, now reverted back to a window opening with timber panel below. Square iron coal hole cover set within square limestone surround to front pavement. Coach house demolished and redeveloped to Theatre Lane to rear.
Despite the loss of its original windows, this former townhouse still retains its original Georgian aspect to the street. The later cast-iron steps and balustrade add to the interest and character of this house, which makes an overall positive contribution to the streetscape.