Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1830 - 1850


157375, 156720

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay four-storey over basement brick former townhouse, built c. 1840, with a front railed basement area, a three-storey return and a four-storey mock Georgian building occupying the rear site. M-profile roof concealed behind rebuilt parapet wall with a large rendered chimneystack rising from its south gable. Cast-iron rainwater goods and red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement coping to the parapet wall with lead flashing to the rebuilt brick courses beneath. Painted limestone plinth course delineates ground floor level with painted square and coursed ashlar limestone walls to the basement. Painted rendered gabled side elevation, and plain rendered rear elevation. Brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted limestone sills and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows c. 1960. Brick three-centred arched door opening with patent rendered reveal and a tripartite arrangement of door and sidelights. Replacement timber-panelled door flanked by timber engaged Ionic columns sidelight and quarter Ionic piers supporting a stepped entablature with glazed fanlight. Door opens onto limestone step and limestone flagged platform area with four limestone steps, flanked by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on limestone plinth with cement repairs, enclosing the basement area. Iron gate and steel steps give access to the basement level.


Despite several modifications and replacement features, this building still retains its late Georgian appearance. Sited on this prominent corner site, it is of great importance to the streetscape.