Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey over basement house, built c. 1840, sharing a parapet height with Nos. 10-13. Asymmetrical alignment of fenestration at ground floor level to accommodate door opening. Red brick faced concrete structure added to rear site, c. 1980, replacing original coach house. Pitched roof concealed behind parapet wall. Red brick chimneystack to east and west party wall. uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick façade and side elevation laid in Flemish bond terminating with limestone coping to parapet wall; rendered basement elevation terminating with painted chamfered stone plinth course to façade and rubble limestone footing to side elevation; re-rendered rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, red brick flat arches, rendered reveals, painted limestone sills; replacement uPVC windows. Window openings to side elevations, all around mid twentieth century. Red brick three-centred arched door opening, patent rendered reveals, and inset timber doorcase, c. 1850, comprising flat-panelled pilasters with foliate console brackets supporting lintel cornice, with original webbed lead detailed fanlight; and original flat-panelled timber door leaf. Limestone door platform bridging front site basement area, arrived at by a flight of limestone steps, flanked by wrought-iron railings with Neo-classical cast-iron rail posts with pineapple finials. Front site basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings with cast-iron rail posts having pineapple finials. Two-storey structure to rear replaces coach house.
The proportions of this house, like those on Mallow Street, appear quite narrow in width compared with their height from ground level to the parapet level. It forms part of a terrace of seven houses enclosing Mallow Street to the north where the Georgian townhouses are each of a similar scale. The loss of the original coach house is regrettable as the row of coach houses behind this terrace are all but intact, forming an important historical and architectural dimension within the Georgian streetscape.