Survey Data

Reg No

21517057


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

157336, 156754


Date Recorded

17/07/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement house, built c. 1840, sharing a parapet height with neighbouring houses. Asymmetrical alignment of fenestration at ground floor level to accommodate door opening. Pitched roof concealed behind parapet wall. Red brick chimneystack to east and west party wall. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond; lead damp proof course beneath limestone coping to parapet wall; rendered basement elevation terminating with painted chamfered painted stone plinth course; exposed squared and snecked rubble limestone rear elevation with red brick parapet quoins and window surrounds. Square-headed window openings, red brick flat arches, rendered reveals, painted limestone sills; replacement uPVC windows. Three-centred arch to rear elevation may refer to original fenestration to rear elevation. Red brick three-centred arched door opening, patent rendered reveals, and inset timber doorcase, c. 1850, comprising flat-panelled pilasters with foliate console brackets supporting lintel cornice, with original webbed lead detailed fanlight; and original raised and fielded panelled timber door leaf. Limestone door platform bridging front site basement area, arrived at by a flight of limestone steps, flanked by wrought-iron railings with Neo-classical cast-iron rail posts with pineapple finials. Front site basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings with cast-iron rail posts having pineapple finials. Fine painted rubble limestone coach house to rear site access lane, distinguished by dramatic arched opening, now blocked up at ground floor level to form window opening. Original loft window survives above; segmental-arched pedestrian opening to west.

Appraisal

The proportions of this house, like those on Mallow Street appear quite narrow in width compared with height from ground level to the parapet wall. It forms part of a terrace of seven houses enclosing Mallow Street to the north where the Georgian townhouses are each of a similar scale. The uncleaned facade has resulted in the survival of the fa├žade colour wash, a rare patina, which enriches the character of this fine building. The original coach house is a valuable historical structure on the rear site and both the house and coach house should be viewed as an ensemble.