Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement house, built c. 1830, sharing a parapet height with No. 8. Pitched roof concealed behind parapet wall. Rendered chimneystack to west party wall and red brick chimneystack to east party wall. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with cement re-pointing; lead damp proof course beneath limestone coping to parapet wall; rendered basement elevation terminating with painted chamfered stone plinth course; rendered rear elevation with diminutive return and lean-to accretions. Square-headed window openings, red brick flat arches, patent rendered reveals, limestone sills; replacement uPVC windows; one original six-over-six timber sash window to rear elevation. Cast-iron Adamesque balconette with palmette detailing to first floor window openings. Three-centre arched door opening with red brick arch, patent rendered reveals, and inset doorcase comprising three-quarters engaged Ionic columns supporting lintel cornice, breaking forward over columns, spoke-wheel fanlight; replacement panelled timber door leaf. Limestone door platform bridging front site basement area arrived at by a flight of limestone steps flanked by wrought-iron railings with Neo-classical cast-iron rail posts with pineapple finials. Front site basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings with cast-iron rail posts having pineapple finials in varying degrees of intactness. Concrete coping added to painted limestone plinth to secure railings. Rubble limestone coach house to rear site access lane with flat-arched vehicular opening having rolled steel joist lintel and plank timber gates, blocked-up pedestrian opening to west, and camber-arched loft window opening above.
This is a finely composed late Georgian former townhouse which is well-maintained. It is located at the western end of the terrace enclosing Mallow Street to the north where the Georgian townhouses are each of a similar scale. uPVC windows, and cement mortar reduce the character. The original coach house is a valuable historical structure on the rear site and both the house and coach house should be viewed as an ensemble.