Survey Data

Reg No

21517043


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical


Original Use

Harbour/dock/port


In Use As

Unknown


Date

1860 - 1880


Coordinates

156848, 156626


Date Recorded

27/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Rectangular-plan limestone graving dock, opened in 1873, with a limestone pedestal to the north having commemorative plaques. The dock was formed of solid limestone rock and measured 450 feet in length by 60 feet in breadth. No longer in use and falling into disrepair. Plaque on pedestal reads: 'Floating dock opened 26th September 1853 by Earl St Germans Lord Lieutenant. Francis Spaight J.P. President of Chamber of Commerce. W.H. Hall Mayor. James Spaight J.P. High Sheriff. John Long Engineer.' Another plaque reads: 'Graving dock opened 13th May 1873 by Earl Spenser Lord Lieutenant. James Spaight J.P. President of Chamber of Commerce. J.J. Cleary Mayor. M.R. Ryan J.P. High Sheriff. John Long Engineer. William J. Hall Assist. Engineer.' Tooled, squared limestone steps to the sides with rounded edges and an iron sluice gate to the south. To either side the steps are broken by two smooth limestone slipways. To the south end at either side is a flight of steps.

Appraisal

A well-built dock set within the greater wet dock, and displaying fine stone masonry typical of the mid nineteenth century. Mr. Hawney was the clerk of works. Although now falling into dereliction, this dock along with the pedstal, forms an historical feature on the landscape of the docklands.