1780 - 1820
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c. 1800, with a timber shopfront occupying two bays at ground floor level, introduced, c. 1900. Steeply pitched artificial slate roof. Red brick chimneystack to south abutting that of neighbouring building and to north re-faced in machine made red brick, c. 1880, with an irregularly shaped stack. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins and eaves course. Random rubble limestone rear elevation with red brick eaves course. Square-headed window openings, rendered reveals, limestone sills and two-over-two timber sash windows with ogee horns to second floor level, two-over-two timber sash windows to ground and first floor level with exposed sash boxes, each with ogee horns and cylinder glass. Wrought-iron sill guard to ground floor window opening, c. 1900. Timber shopfront comprising four narrow panelled pilasters with plain brackets supporting plain fascia with cornice above, and flanking a two-pane display window over rendered stall riser. Shopfront incorporates two door openings, one to shop wider than one to upper floors (northernmost), with an early flat-panelled timber door leaf having horizontal upper panel to shop and late twentieth century raised and fielded panelled timber door leaf to door to upper floors. Overlight to both.
This fine house has been dated to the late eighteenth century, though it may be earlier in date. The massing of the walls and the exposed sash boxes of the first floor window openings suggest an earlier date. The house is set within a terrace of rendered houses of varying scale, with an eaves and ridge level which is rarely even. The terrace appears late eighteenth or early nineteenth century, and is not subject to the refinement of the late Georgian terraced houses, which predominate in Newtown Pery further east, though it is of no less importance.