Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Technical
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Freestanding square-plan three-stage clock tower, built in 1880, restored in 1996. Replacement metal weather vane with model ship mounted on a possibly lead pyramidal roof c. 1996. Limestone cyma recta profiled cornice with corbels beneath. Channel rusticated limestone ashlar third stage with a square recessed panel having glazed oculi to corners and a blue metal clock face with gilded roman numerals and hands on all sides. Decorative cast-iron cresting delineates the third stage standing on the entablature surmounting second stage, with trefoil motif on all four elevations. The first and second stage are articulated by smooth superimposed squared and carved limestone ashlar corner piers with simple stringcourse delineating ground second stage and entablature over second stage; and a canted plinth course at ground level. Tooled squared random limestone ashlar elevations to first and second stages. Limestone ashlar platbands to east and west elevations of first stage. Round-arched lancet window to all four elevations of second stage, with smooth raised limestone surrounds, limestone sill, aprons labels and limestone louvres. Bipartite square-headed window openings to north and south elevations of first stage, with smooth raised lintel blocks and shared sill. Segmental-arched door opening to north side with smooth limestone surround terminating at plinth course and relieving arch above. Double-leaf plank timber door with stop-chamfer moulding, opening onto limestone step. Inscribed plaque above reads: 'Erected for the Benefit of this Port by the Limerick Harbour Commissioners 1880 William J. Hall B.E. Harbour Engineer William Cabroll Secretary M. Fitzmaurice H.Master.' Stone to plinth reads: 'Foundation Stone, laid by Miss O'Gorman, Daughter of The Right Worshipful Mayor of Limerick 1879-80.' Plaque to east reads: 'Lund & Blockley 42 Pall Mall London Makers of the Clock.'
A substantial carved limestone clock tower or campanile designed by the Harbour Engineer William J. Mall in a Renaissance style. This well crafted tower is a landmark, visible from many parts of the city.