1870 - 1890
Attached a three-bay three-storey presbytery, built in 1881, with gabled central bay having stone coping and cross on corbels. Pitched artificial slate roof with large modern brick supporting wall to east gable. Cast-iron rainwater goods and random snecked ashlar limestone walls. Round-arch window opening to gable and second floor level, flanked by pair of oculi; to first floor windows have a corbelled lintels; round-arch window openings to ground floor level; all with flush carved limestone surrounds, flush canted limestone sills and coloured leaded lights.
This fine Italianate church, with Romanesque architectural features, was designed by the architect Martin Morris. As a place of worship and a feature within the streetscape, this is a significant structure adding a religious element to a largely commercial and retail district. The parish of Saint Michael's is one of the five original parishes of Limerick City. Saint Michael's was a joint parish of Saint John's until 1704 when Father Murtagh O'Hehir became the first parish priest of the new parish.