Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced two-bay three-storey red brick building, built c. 1880, with a modern shopfront. Pitched natural slate roof with black ridge tiles. Rendered chimneystack to east party wall and red brick chimneystack to west party wall. Profiled cast-iron rainwater goods on polychromatic yellow and red brick eaves course. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond with flush black brick sill course. Segmental-arched window openings to second floor with in and out brick surrounds and one-over-one timber sash windows. Paired round-arched window openings to first floor divided by polished granite pier with stucco foliate capital and moulded stucco base; alternating red and yellow brick to arches rising from yellow brick impost block, forming stingcourse across elevation; replacement timber casement windows with moulded base. Segmental-arched window openings with alternating red brick and chamfered yellow brick arches, alternating squared and chamfered red brick reveals, flush vitrified brick sill course with wrought-iron grilles; one-over-one timber sash windows. Modern polished granite shopfront, with separate access to upper floors.
A modestly scaled and richly detailed polychromatic building which, along with Fergusons at Nos. 20-21 O'Connell Street, form a dramatic and architecturally interesting termination of two streetscapes.