Survey Data

Reg No

21513041


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical


Original Use

Mausoleum


In Use As

Mausoleum


Date

1840 - 1860


Coordinates

158241, 157033


Date Recorded

17/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached limestone mausoleum on a raised limestone podium, built c. 1850, for the Unthank family, with an aedicular fa├žade in the Doric order. Limestone ashlar walls with Doric pilasters supporting plain entablature and blocking course. Entablature returning along side elevations. The ashlar stonework facing has been recently removed from the street-facing east elevation. Square-headed door opening with Greek Revival limestone lugged architrave. Panelled cast-iron door leaf with vent holes to upper panels and cast-iron raised lettering: Unthank. Limestone plaque to south side elevation reads: 'I.H.S.The remains of Robert Unthank, Esq. are deposed in this monument. Who died May 1814, aged 26 years. Also the remains of his mother Mrs. Mary Unthank. Who died Sep. 22, 1847 aged 75 years. And his sister, Mrs. Percy Scanlan who died February 4th 1829, aged 37 years.' Limestone plaque to north side reads: 'IHS. To the memory of John Unthank, Esq. of Thomas-Street on this city who departed this life on the 19th February, 1849, aged 57 years. This monument is erected as a small testimony of the respect and affection of his sorrowing wife and childred.' Vault possibly located beneath podium. Located to the north of the church grounds flush with the boundary enclosing the site, abutting a two-storey structure.

Appraisal

This mausoleum is located on the site of an eleventh-century church Saint John's and was oriented to address the open north side of Saint John's Square. This important historic site is adjacent to the former John's Gate and the town walls where the existing Citadel is located and incorporated within Saint John's Hospital. The Catholic Cathedral of Saint John's dominates the area to the east. The existing Church of Ireland Church on the site replaced the twelfth-century Christian church when the foundation stone was laid in 1851. This mausoleum adds significantly to the architectural and social history of the site. It is well-composed and the classical temple elevation contrasts with the Romanesque style of Saint John's Church.