Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Attached limestone mausoleum, built in 1873, with tetrastyle temple front in the Doric order. Limestone ashlar walls with Doric pilaster supporting plain entablature and pediment. Entablature returning along side and tapering to a finish on the rear elevation. Square-headed door opening with limestone architrave. Panelled cast-iron door leaf with vent holes to upper panels and cast-iron relief goat figure above ribbon band with raised lettering: 'Che Sara Sara 1873'. Limestone plaque to side elevation reads:' Here Lieth the Mortal Remains of Francis Russell Who Died the 25th day of August 1800. He was an Affectionate Husband a Kind and Indulgent Parent a true friend & an honest Man.' Another plaque reads: 'John Norris Russell Dedicted this Monument to his Father Francis Russell A tender Husband An affectionate Parent A kind Friend & an honest Man'. Located to the north of the church grounds flush with the boundary enclosing the site, abutting a two-storey structure.
A fine classical mausoleum located on the grounds of the Church of Ireland Church of Saint John's to the north side of John's Square. This important historic site is adjacent to the former John's Gate and the town walls where the existing Citadel is located and incorporated within Saint John's Hospital. The Catholic Cathedral of Saint John's dominates the area to the east. The existing Church of Ireland Church on the site replaced the twelfth-century Christian church when the foundation stone was laid in 1851. This mausoleum adds significantly to the architectural and social history of the site. It is well-composed and the classical temple elevation contrasts with the Romanesque elements of Saint John's Church. John Norris Russell was merchant who also became a shipowner and industrialist. He built the Newtown Pery Mills on Russell's Quay and the Newtown Pery store adjacent to it on Henry Street. He was one of the founders of the Savings Bank.