Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1800
Attached three-bay five-storey limestone former corn store, built c. 1780, with an attic-storey with a limestone carriage arch to southeast side. Renovated c. 1995 and converted to apartment and retail use. Pitched artificial slate roof behind high parapet wall with a half hipped gable to rear. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Squared and snecked limestone ashlar front elevation and roughly squared and snecked rubble walls to sides and rear; all now re-pointed in cement. Square-headed window openings with cut limestone lintels and replacement cut limestone sills and uPVC windows. Segmental-headed centrally-placed loophole rising from first floor level to forth floor level, with cut limestone voussoirs and limestone lintel at each floor level; all now glazed with uPVC windows. Square-headed window openings to façade, limestone lintel, reveals and sills, and replacement uPVC windows. Possibly rebuilt segmental-arched window openings to side and rear elevations, squared off with red brick and limestone sills, all now glazed with uPVC windows. To north elevation is a recessed glazed stairwell, c. 1995, with a brick segmental-arched door opening with timber door. Below loophole is a square-headed door opening with glazed double-leaf timber door and overlight. To south is a segmental headed brick arch opening with ashlar limestone pier from which hang steel gates giving vehicular access to sides and rear.
This modestly-scaled located former corn store is located close to John's Square, in the historic Irish Town area of Limerick City. It has been renovated recently, and while this renovation has introduced materials such as uPVC and artificial slate roof covering, which are inappropriate to an historic building, it remains an important structure on John's Street.