Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Public house


1880 - 1900


158099, 157236

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey red brick building, built c. 1890, with a traditional pub shopfront. Hipped natural slate roof with. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond, having dog-tooth cornice beneath limestone coping on parapet wall. Rendered chimneystacks, irregularly placed and of varying size, flush with party wall. Ruled and lined rendered side and rear elevations. Gauged red brick flat-arched window openings with exposed brick reveals, painted stone sills and aluminium casement windows. Shopfront comprises three panelled pilasters joined by replacement timber fascia and flanking two fixed pane timber display windows on timber sills with three overlights and rendered stallriser beneath. Wrought-iron sill guard manufactured by J. Bethell of Limerick. Double-leaf timber-panelled door leaf.


A well-maintained building with an attractive shopfront is now isolated, as an historic building, by structures of more recent times. It flanks one side of a narrow lane, most likely of medieval origins, which runs off Broad Street to east and west. The date attributed to this building is based on an external survey, however given its location it may be in whole or in part, of earlier origins. This building forms an historic and visual focal point at the intersection between Broad Street, John Street and Mungret Street.