Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Technical

Original Use

Post box

In Use As

Post box


1900 - 1910


157646, 157116

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding cast-iron pillar box, manufactured c. 1905, and located on the west side of O'Connell Street. Shallow domed capping with dentil enriched sides. Hinged door with covered finger pull. Relief lettering reading: Post Office beneath ER VII royal insignia. Edward VII reigned between 1901-1910 as King of Great Britain and Ireland. Base with manufacturer's name: McDowall & Steven & Co. Ltd. London and Glasgow.


The design of pillar post boxes was standardised in 1859 and this example is typical of this standard. While the overall design remained the same, changes occurred such as the representation of the crown and insignia of the monarch and even the letter box opening which changed with the prevailing standard sizes of envelopes. This is a fine piece of street furniture, and may have been located on this site, it adds immeasurably to the architectural heritage of the streetscape of O'Connell Street and is in fact the oldest element within the streetscape at this point. A pillar letter box was identified on this site in the 1872 edition of the Limerick City Ordnance Survey. Many letter boxes bear the company stamp, most of these originating from the period when the company relocated to Falkirk, taking over Laurieston Ironworks around 1912. McDowall Steven & Co. Ltd. finally ceased trading, but it would appear to be around 1920.