Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Semi-detached two-bay three-storey red brick house, built c. 1900, facing south with a two-storey three-sided canted bay window to gabled breakfront, paired with neighbouring breakfront. In use as guest house accommodation. Single-bay two-storey gabled return to rear shared with neighbouring house prolonged by single-storey accretion. Pitched artificial slate roof with intersecting pitched breakfront roof. Terracotta comb ridge tiles. Rendered chimneystack to breakfront with moulded clay pots. Red brick chimneystack to gable of side elevation and to ridge of return gable, with red brick stringcourse. Profiled cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond with weather hung fishscaled terracotta tiles to gable of breakfront. Moulded red brick eaves throughout with cement flaunching to coping and cast eagle to apex. Cement rendered rear and return elevations. Square-headed window openings with red brick flat arches, reveals, limestone sills with sill course to bays, red brick reveals, and single-pane timber sash window, with twelve-paned overlights. uPVC window to attic opening of breakfront. Reconstructed three-sided canted bay window to return with timber apron and sash style casement windows. One two-over-two timber sash window and uPVC casement to rear elevation. Timber-framed glazed porch on rendered plinth base, obscures front door which comprises a square-headed door opening to side of breakfront, set in shallow porch, with bull nose moulded reveals to limestone lintel, and red brick reveals, limestone step, original flat-panelled and glazed timber door leaf. Overlight over door lintel with matching bull nose lintel and tripartite arched overlight. Large front and rear site enclosed to front by rendered plinth wall supporting wrought-iron railings with end piers, to one side supporting wrought-iron pedestrian gate. Cast-iron finials. Rubble limestone boundary wall to west and shared rear site access lane. Immediate rear site enclosed by rendered boundary wall with plank timber pedestrian gates.
This house forms one of two with a shared composition pairing gabled breakfronts. Like many late Victorian and Edwardian houses the design incorporates a multitude of architectural detailing included the curious front door composition. Very much intact retaining original sash windows door leaf and overlight. This house forms part of the turn of the twentieth-century development of Landsdown Villas. The development, by Clifford Smith, is evidence of the middle class wealth in the City at the time.