Survey Data

Reg No

21512024


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1910


Coordinates

156951, 157513


Date Recorded

26/05/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached two-bay three-storey red brick house, built c. 1900, facing south with a three-sided canted bay attached to a single-bay three-storey gabled breakfront. In use as bed and breakfast accommodation. Single-bay two-storey gable-ended return shared with neighbouring house. Pitched artificial slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Red brick chimneystacks with moulded clay pots. Moulded cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded red brick eaves course, which return to front of gable and continue to the apex with finial. Weather hung fishscaled terracotta tiles to gable of breakfront. Red brick front and partial red brick side elevation walls laid in English garden wall bond with moulded red brick course delineating first floor level. Rendered side and rear elevation walls. Lead covered roof to three-sided canted bay window. Square-headed window openings to fa├žade with red brick flat arches, reveals, limestone sills, continuous to bay window openings, with one-over-one timber sash windows which have twelve-pane overlights and ogee horns. Replacement uPVC casement window to attic level. Two-over-two, two-over-one, and single-pane timber sash windows to rear elevation, having uPVC to attic level also. Square-headed front door opening with shallow projection surround to side of front projection. Limestone lintel. Glazed timber-panelled door opens onto limestone step. Landscaped front site with concrete path and steps. Enclosed from road by rendered boundary wall and piers with metal railings and pedestrian gate. Bound by rubble stone wall to west enclosing site from rear site access lane.

Appraisal

This house, which forms part of a group of relatively uniform semi-detached houses, has been very well-maintained to present an original aspect with most of its salient features intact. Together with the remainder of Landsdown Villas it forms an attractive feature on this turn of the twentieth-century streetscape. The development, by Clifford Smith, is evidence of the middle class wealth in the City at the time.