Survey Data

Reg No

21512023


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1910


Coordinates

156958, 157512


Date Recorded

26/05/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached two-bay three-storey red brick house, built c. 1900, facing south with a two-storey three-sided canted bay window to gabled breakfront, paired with neighbouring breakfront. Single-bay two-storey gabled return to rear. Pitched artificial slate roof with intersecting pitched breakfront roof. Rendered chimneystack to breakfront with moulded clay pots. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick chimneystack to gable of side elevation with red brick stringcourse. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond with weather hung fishscaled slate to gable of breakfront. Moulded brick eaves throughout. Cement rendered rear and return elevations. Square-headed window openings with red brick flat arches, reveals, limestone sills with sill course to bays, red brick reveals, and single-pane timber sash window, with twelve-paned overlights. Three-sided canted bay window to rear with timber sills, rendered apron lead covered roof, and single-pane timber sash windows with ogee horns and cylinder glass. Square-headed door opening to side of breakfront, set in shallow porch, with bull nose moulded reveals to limestone lintel, and red brick reveals, limestone step, original flat-panelled and glazed timber door leaf. Overlight over door lintel with matching bull nose lintel and tripartite arched overlight. Site enclosed from pavement by rendered plinth wall with replacement rendered plinth walls, piers and entrance. Hard landscaped front site with landscaped area.

Appraisal

This house forms one of a pair which have a shared composition and paired gabled breakfronts. Like many late Victorian and Edwardian houses, the design incorporates a multitude of architectural detailing included the curious front door composition. Very much intact and retaining original sash windows door leaf and overlight. This house forms part of the turn of the twentieth-century development of Landsdown Villas. The development, by Clifford Smith, is evidence of the middle class wealth in the City at the time.