Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Harbour pier, constructed c. 1820, accessed via Sarsfield Bridge with corresponding jetty attached to Harvey's Quay, forming a lock. Rough-hewn large limestone block construction with a rounded outer edge extending to the deck of the pier at varying lengths, with lawn grass to remainder of deck. Several cut limestone mooring bollards to both sections. The walls are battered to the lower level. Some cast-iron railings to the main section while the jetty is completely enclosed by steel railings, c. 2000 and contains a circular arrangement of eight cut limestones, part of the former swivel bridge (previously known as 'Poor Man's Kilkee'). The Limerick Boat Club building occupies most of the main pier and is enclosed by decorative cast-iron railings and gate accessed via a modern steel replacement flight of steps, c. 2002. Retaining only the elaborate cast-iron balustrades to either side. Opening onto Sarsfield Bridge through heavy cast-iron fasces piers. The jetty is now a public outdoor space with benches. Two iron canons to south end of main section.
A substantial stone pier demonstrating the solid masonry skills of its time. While serving many functions this pier is a landmark on the riverscape of Limerick, and provides a recreational use along the River Shannon.