Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Detached T-plan two-bay single-storey with attic level clubhouse, built c. 1900, erected on a pier to the west of Sarsfield Bridge on the Shannon River, with a three-sided canted west end, and modern lean-to entrance bays to north and south, built c. 1990. Pitched artificial slate roof with uPVC rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond, with brick plinth course and stringcourses beneath springing of window arches. Stepped red brick kneelers to gables with cement coping. Segmental-arched gauged red brick openings with limestone keystone and moulded brick hoodmouldings. Timber windows with leaded light to attic opening. Red brick doorcase with moulded red brick architrave, segmental-arched boat door opening with chamfered brick reveals and segmental arch with limestone keystone and plank timber doors. Openings forming arcade to rear and side incorporating bay window. Some openings blocked-up. Located on the southern end of Wellesley Pier within a lawn and enclosed to rear of Sarsfield Bridge Monument by decorative cast-iron railings and gate accessed via a flight of modern steel replacement steps, with original cast-iron balustrade and newels to landing deck at bridge level, opening onto Sarsfield Bridge through heavy cast-iron gates with fasces gate piers.
The Limerick Boat Club was established in 1870, and once patronised by Charles and Croker Barrington and is of great significance to the cultural history of Limerick. The clubhouse is a modest structure with multiple openings and is enlivened by the three-sided bay to side. It exhibits good examples of Victorian brick detailing. While the extensions are unsympathetic, the building and particularly the pier on which it is situated, are important components of the ensemble associated with Sarsfield Bridge and the River Shannon. The ironwork is by the W.F. McNamara Foundry.