1835 - 1845
Limerick Union Work House - Married Nursery
Attached multiple-bay three-storey limestone former nursery, built c. 1865, on a T-shaped plan. Later accretions to south elevation and single-bay two-storey bay to north and south end, and a centrally-placed single-bay two-storey addition to north-facing elevation. Pitched slate roof with possibly dropped chimneystack to west gable. Profiled cast-iron and uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered gabled end bays and accretions. Squared and snecked limestone north and south elevations. Square-headed window openings with limestone reveals, limestone ashlar voussoirs, flush limestone sills and aluminium windows. Central bay emphasised by quadripartite window arrangement with mullions and transom, flush canted sills and uPVC glazing. First floor altered by accretion.
This building is marked as 'Married Nusery' on the 1872 Ordnance Survey series for Limerick City. An identical block across the grounds was named 'Single Nursery'. Neither building appear, however, on the first edition OS which dates from 1840-41. This T-shaped building continues to operate as part of the hospital, though its specific use has changed. While a number of later accretions add little to the architectural character of the building, it stands apart from any other in the complex and can be understood architecturally despite the alterations.