Survey Data

Reg No

21505006


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1820 - 1840


Coordinates

158470, 158440


Date Recorded

12/06/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey house, built c. 1830, divided into two units c. 1940, facing north having an irregular O-plan enclosing a small central courtyard. Hipped artificial slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and three rendered chimneystacks with octagonal clay pots. Cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging eaves. Painted rendered walls. Two three-sided canted timber bays with felt roof and plastic rainwater goods. Nine-over-one timber sash windows to all sides on cut limestone sill course. Square-headed door openings with timber-panelled door with brass furniture and sidelights. Opening onto encaustic tiled porch area, porch being uPVC replacement c. 1990. Pitched roof extension to east, c. 1940, opens onto side yard. Hipped roof section to west (now part of other unit) possibly incorporating the original entrance to the house. uPVC windows to west elevation with two-over-two timber sash windows to hipped west section and to rear. A further hipped roof section to southeast attached to an adjacent house contains the original tongue and groove timber rear door with diamond-glazed panel. Enclosed from public road by rubble stone wall with ashlar limestone coping and painted piers with replacement steel gates, which gives access to a short avenue to the front site.

Appraisal

A curiously laid out house, now divided into two dwellings, with many intact features from different periods. While it is uncertain where the original front elevation was positioned, the current lay out adds interest to the streetscape.