Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
1870 - 1890
Terraced five-bay two-storey former town hall, built c. 1880, with round-headed rusticated integral carriage arch to centre having keystones and Dutch gablet to centre having clock. Extensively renovated in latter part of twentieth century with group of timber pilaster shopfronts inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles and parapets to facade with sandstone pinnacles to either end of facade and ball finials flanking centre bay. Red brick English bond walls with projecting plinth, brick dentilated cornice, red sandstone parapet coping and curvilinear pediment gable to centre bay with sandstone dressings. Flush red sandstone sills and surrounds to openings. Sandstone cornices to end bays at first floor. Brick relieving arches. Red sandstone rusticated architrave.