Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1865 - 1870
Detached nine-bay two- and three-storey Gothic Revival style friary with dormer attic, built 1867, on a quadrangular plan about a cloister. Designed by J.J. McCarthy. Comprising four-bay two-storey central block, single-bay two-storey gabled flanking bay with dormer attic to right and three-bay three-storey gabled advanced entrance end bay with dormer attic to left. Ten-bay three-storey side elevation to west. Attached single-bay double-height gable-fronted limestone-built Gothic Revival style chapel, dated 1887, to right completing quadrangular plan. Chapel comprising ten-bay double-height nave elevation to east with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to centre, stepped buttresses and single-bay four-stage bell tower to west elevation on a square plan having open belfry to fourth stage with pyramidal roof over. Chapel renovated internally, c. 1910. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, clay ridge tiles, gabled parapets on coved springers and cross finials. Random rubble green limestone walls with grey limestone quoins and eaves course. Paired lancets with limestone ashlar surrounds and sills. Limestone relieving arches. Timber two-over-one pane sliding sash windows, some replaced in uPVC. Five-lancet west window to chapel. Pointed arched doorway to church with hood moulding. Compartmented vaulted ceiling to chapel interior having coved cornice with stencilling. West gallery. Highly decorated chancel with mosaic-tiling dated 1917. Elaborate Gothic Revival reredos incorporating life-size statues. Chancel re-ordered. Burial ground to site with various cast-iron Celtic Cross style grave markers, c. 1890-present. Gateway, built c. 1890, to south comprising group of limestone ashlar Gothic Revival style piers with cast-iron gates and railings.