Survey Data

Reg No

21400212


Rating

National


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1860 - 1870


Coordinates

98991, 133526


Date Recorded

15/11/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding cruciform-plan double-height Gothic Revival style Roman Catholic church, built c. 1865, with six-bay double-height nave, six-bay single-storey lean-to aisles to east and to west elevations, single-bay double-height transepts to east and to west elevations, single-bay single-storey lean-to projecting porches to north elevations, single-bay single-storey flat-roofed chapels to east and to west gable ends, single-bay double-height lower polygonal apse to south gable end and entrance bay to north gable end, single-bay double-height chapel to north-west corner having polygonal west elevation and single-bay three-stage tower to north-east corner on a square plan. Renovated internally in 1998. Pitched slate roof to nave, lean-to artificial slate roofs to aisles with ashlar copings and finials. Hexagonal spire to tower with lucarnes. Rock-hewn snecked limestone walls with smooth finished dressings. Stone tracery to pointed window openings and rose windows having limestone surrounds and hood mouldings. Single lancets to tower. Cinqfoil to entrance fa├žade. Stepped ashlar reveals to doorways with hood mouldings. Main entrance flanked by pink marble pilasters. Profiled roof with exposed trusses to interior. Pointed arcades to aisles on polished black limestone columns. Black and red quarry-tiled floor. Timber moulded wainscoting. Marble and mosaic gallery. Mosaic-tiled walls to chancel and side chapels. Gateway, built c. 1865, to north comprising six limestone ashlar Gothic Revival style piers with wrought-iron gas lamp holders having wrought-iron gates and railings.