Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
1880 - 1900
Freestanding double-height Gothic Revival style Roman Catholic church, built c. 1890, with five-bay nave, single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to north elevation, two-bay single-storey sacristy projection to south elevation, and single-bay full-height polygonal apse to east gable end having copper-clad spirelet to gable. Now disused and partly derelict. Pitched slate roof with iron ridge plates having scalloped edges and incised patterns, stone Celtic cross finials, copper spire with louvered panels, open eaves, cast-iron profiled gutters and downpipes, vestry re-roofed artificial slate. Rubble stone walls with limestone ashlar quoins. Triple, paired, and single lancets with limestone ashlar surrounds. One lancet west of porch retains leaded square and diamond quarry panes. West gable quatrefoil has stained glass. Vestry retains leaded glazing to two windows with central iron bar. Gateway, built c. 1890, to north comprising pair of cut-stone piers with wrought-iron gates.