Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1890 - 1895
Detached T-plan five-bay single- and two-storey former railway station, opened 1893, comprising single-bay two-storey central block, two-bay single-storey recessed flanking end bays and three-bay two-storey return to rear to south-east. Closed in 1960. Single-bay single-storey flat-roofed entrance bay added to accommodate use as youth hostel. Pitched and hipped slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimneystack, overhanging eaves and cast-iron profiled gutter and downpipes. Painted roughcast rendered walls. Tripartite windows to west at ground and first floors with original sliding sash windows. Replacement timber windows to remaining openings. Render doorcase with cornice and blocking course, having replacement door. Retaining interior features. Remains of rubble stone-built platform, built c. 1890, along west elevation. Signal, buffer and name-plate relocated to south side. Railway bridge to north.