Survey Data

Reg No

21306608


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Original Use

Country house


In Use As

Hotel


Date

1875 - 1880


Coordinates

96420, 88944


Date Recorded

08/11/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached seven-bay two-storey over part-raised basement Ruskinesque Gothic Revival style country house with dormer attic, dated 1877, possibly incorporating fabric of earlier house. Designed by J.F. Fuller. Comprising five-bay two-storey main block with single-bay two-storey gabled projecting entrance bay having trefoil-headed door opening approached by flight of steps, and two-bay two-storey gabled projecting end bay to left. Three-bay side elevations and five-bay rear elevation to south-west elevation having pair of single-bay two-storey gabled advanced bays. Renovated and extended to south-east in late twentieth century, comprising five-bay two-storey wing with gablets over window openings to accommodate use as hotel. Steeply pitched and hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimneystacks with ashlar dressings, gable parapets with decorative iron finials and hipped dormers. Rendered walls with ashlar plinth band, carved springers with wyverns, string course to facade with carved bosses and moulded ashlar eaves band. Tooled ashlar sills and transoms to timber one-over-one pane sliding sash windows with meeting rails concealed by transom. Ashlar doorcase with moulded reveal and hood moulding, carved date-plaque, leaded glass overpanel and double-leaf glazed and panelled door. Retaining interior features. Detached nine-bay two-storey rubble stone-built stable block, built c. 1880, to west on an L-shaped plan comprising three-bay two-storey range with series of segmental-headed integral carriage arches and six-bay single-storey wing with half-dormer attic at right angle to south-east; now in use as hotel. Detached seven-bay single-storey rubble stone-built outbuilding, built c. 1880, to south with square-headed open internal porch to right. Detached single-bay single-storey gable-fronted rubble stone-built outbuilding, built c. 1880, to south, now partly derelict.