Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Detached seven-bay single- and two-storey former courthouse and bridewell, built c. 1830, comprising three-bay two-storey advanced central block with two-bay single-storey flanking lateral wings with dormer attics and single-bay full-height canted projecting bay to rear to north-east. Renovated in late twentieth century to accommodate residential use. Pitched and hipped artificial slate roofs with ashlar chimneystack. Limestone ashlar walls with chamfered full-height bay at rear. Limestone lintels and sills, with timber six-over-six pane sliding sash windows to rear bay and replacement timber casements and door to front. Gateway to forecourt comprising pair of limestone ashlar piers with inscribed panel over.